Choose from a variety of local activities as we close out 2012 and welcome the New Year.
- Where: Various Locations in Old Town Alexandria
- When: Monday beginning at noon.
- Why Go: This family-friendly event will feature live music and entertainment, arts and crafts, face painting, moon bounce, food and more. Stay for midnight fireworks on the river to celebrate the New Year.
- Price: Adults $20; Ages 12 and under FREE; Active duty military FREE with ID (see www.firstnightalexandria.org for details).
- Where: Mount Vernon RECenter, Alexandria
- When: Saturday at 9:30 a.m.
- Why Go: Burn off some of those holiday calories at this 5K event that takes you through the wooded trails near Mount Vernon RECenter.
- Price: $15 entry fee.
- Where: Ernst Community Cultural Center, Annandale
- When: Friday and Saturday at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.
- Why Go: This classic holiday ballet, featuring young Clara and her nutcracker prince, will be performed by the Virginia Ballet Company and School.
- Price: Tickets range from $20 to $30.
- Where: Lake Accotink Park, Springfield
- When: Sunday at 1 p.m.
- Why Go: This quiet observation of the burning of the wooden trestle over Accotink Creek in 1862 will be commemorated by a recitation of events and simulated torching of the trestle.
- Price: FREE.