The Alexandria Police Department is asking residents to be mindful of daytime package thefts from doorsteps and front porches during the holiday season.
Between November 2010 and January 2011, 12 package thefts were reported in Alexandria. The number went up to 17 between November 2011 and January 2012. Many of the thefts go unreported.
APD offers the following tips to help residents prevent their packages from being stolen.
- Consider having packages delivered to another location where someone is more likely to be present during delivery like your work place or a friend or family member’s home.
- Encourage family, neighbors and friends to pick up delivered packages as soon as possible after they are dropped off on your doorstep.
- Track deliveries online and try to meet the arrival of the package.
- Leave special instructions for where to deliver the packages, preferably out of sight from the road.
- Consider having any valuable items insured.
- Request a signature confirmation of delivery.
- Always lock your doors and windows when leaving your home, even if just for a few hours.
- Be neighborly—take a moment to get to know your neighbors.
To report any suspicious activity or persons in your neighborhood immediately, the APD asks residents to call 911 for emergencies or 703-746-4444 for non-emergencies.