Events and potential adventures this weekend in and around Alexandria.
The holiday season is in full swing with a variety of local events happening this Friday through Sunday.
- Where: Corner of Mount Vernon and E. Oxford avenues, Alexandria
- When: 6 p.m. Friday
- Why Go: Enjoy hot chocolate, live music and a visit from Santa Claus. Donations will be accepted for the Carpenter’s Shelter. Please see website for a list of requested items.
- Price: FREE
- Where: Mount Vernon RECenter Ice Arena, Belle View
- When: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday
- Why Go: The RECenter’s talented skaters will perform their skills in front of an audience.
- Price: Admission is FREE
- Where: Gunston Hall, Lorton
- When: 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday
- Why Go: Celebrate an 18th century-style Christmas with carriage rides, warm cider and food prepared in the hearth kitchen.
- Price: Adults - $15; kids 6 to 18 - $8; Kids 2 to 5 - $2.
- Where: Green Spring Gardens, Annandale
- When: 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday
- Why Go: Enjoy a traditional English tea as you imagine yourself at home with the Elliots, Bingleys or Bennets at Christmastime. For ages 13 and up.
- Price: $27 per person. Reservations required.
- Where: Various locations in Old Town, Alexandria
- When: 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday, 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday.
- Why Go: Tour the Carlyle House, Gadsby’s Tavern and Museum, the Lee-Fendall House and the historic Bank of Alexandria building while enjoying live music, holiday décor and delicious chocolate.
- Price: Adults - $20; seniors - $15; kids 6 to 17 - $5.
Holiday Shops and Craft Fairs:
- Bling and Things Holiday Shopping Exposé at Hampton Inn and Suites, Alexandria, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.
- Women, Art and Shopping Holiday Market at Charles Houston Recreation Center, Alexandria, 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.
- Del Ray Artisans Holiday Market at Del Ray Artisans, Alexandria. Friday, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Sunday, noon to 4 p.m.